Saturday, June 22, 2013

Yippee- Skippee! Treat Pouch made with E-Cutter and MDS

MDS has many files making up it's "library" of images. I explained MDS yesterday to a friend as  a clip art program on steroids. You can create many things from cards and scrapbook pages to photo albums and 3D items. You can print them through SU and have them mailed to you or you can print them at home (although my printer can't hold a candle to SU's printer!!) Another option is to take those images in MDS and import them into an E-Cutter (or electronic die cut machine) and have them cut out of pretty paper. 

Today's project uses SVG files from MDS. Like previous projects, I did not create these images in MDS. They are already in MDS as stamps and are already created, ready to use. 

SU has created many of these images in SVG form. SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphic. It means that the image was created differently than say, a JPEG. It can be manipulated and resized without losing any of it's properties (pixilation.) Beyond, that, it gets very technical and my eyes begin to cross, but all you need to know is that if the image is SVG then your E-Cutter will have no problem cutting it!

I cut the sea horse, the star fish and the sea shell on my E-Cutter. They are from a download called Anchors Away. The beautiful bag is part of Stampin' Up's new Pretty Packaging called Tag a Bag Gift Bag.  The Coastal Cabana tag was cut on my Big Shot using the Deco Labels Framelits.

I've created another video for you to see just how easily you can merge these SVG files into your E-Cutter. One thing I did not mention in the video that I meant to do was that if you are using the Silhouette Cameo like me, you have to actually upgrade the software in order for it to read SVG files. This was an additional $50 expense on top of the cost of the machine. So, just a word of caution. I had heard that this was something you had to do, so I was prepared. But, just in case, I wanted to let you know! ;-)



You can give MDS a try for FREE for 30 days!  (Please designate me, Erica Cerwin) as your demo when you download it. :-)) It's a download to your computer, not a website. It's easy to use and there is a wealth of videos out there to help you learn how to use it. Please, give me some feedback on these and let me know what else you want to learn. Thanks!!




  



6 comments:

  1. thank you so much for the tutorial! I have my e-cutter sitting right here...and so infrequently used! I will have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh....I can't wait to pick your brain about MDS!! SLC countdown is ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great video! Thanks so much for doing these - so easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so I really like your videos. I was wondering, can you make any saying you want in MDS with any font on your computer and then have the silhouette cut it out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love this project! It screams summer and sun and beach... Everything missing in my day right now, basically! (It's raining - urgh!)

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, thanks for the video. It looks pretty easy to cut - definitely adding this to my wish list! Super cute project!

    ReplyDelete